Generally speaking, any task or activity where a person interacts with a system, application or computer screen to manage, enter, edit or access data, is potentially suitable for RPA.
As a general rule, activities which meet the following criteria should be sought out as a priority:
- Highly manual and repetitive tasks
- Processes with standardised, predictable and readable electronic data inputs
- Activities which follow rule-based logical steps and low variation or exceptions
- Processes with high transactional volumes
- Activities which are manual and time-consuming for higher-value resources
Some suitable examples include accessing and logging in to systems, accessing and updating folders and files, running macros, executing APIs, extracting, downloading or uploading content/data, sending emails, performing calculations and interacting with other software tools such as OCR and BPM.